Sunday, May 2, 2010

“Winding the Clock”

Oh, to be young again, with that fire burning so strong inside of me
Like the world could wait while I went the places I went
And did the things I did…

Nothing to worry about and nothing to capture me by surprise
Much like the moon before it’s caught in the night sky
And shown to the world

When things moved so slowly and everything was experienced for the first time
To be little again, oh to be so small the world couldn’t crush me
Let alone notice

And as I look up into the sky at night I’m reminded
How cold the cement is below me
Laying here as I did ten years ago

I can just see you kid, all grown up, against the world

Back when things were so simple and every day meant something new
When my sisters were always around and my mom and dad were my heroes
Back when I had no idea how cruel the world could be

Back before I met her, back before my feet met the freezing water at the ocean
When I was happy for no reason and did anything I wanted
Back when I didn’t know your face…

When I didn’t see your picture and break down, feeling worthless
When I didn’t pray with my fists clenched and my voice didn’t stagger
And I didn’t fall apart in my own two hands

Back when I was happy just riding my bike and playing in the sand
When video games and fantasies dazzled my mind and inspired me
And being alone was bearable

Back when I small
When I was unnoticeable
To this big bad world

No comments:

Post a Comment